Fresh Tree, Fresh Cut, Fresh Water
These three simple steps are all you need to know to enjoy a fresh and beautiful Christmas tree in your home this holiday season.
- Start with a fresh tree. You can test for freshness by gently grasping a branch and drawing your hand down the branch. If a few green needles or brown needles come away, that is nothing to worry about. If quite a few green needles come away in your hand, you may want to select a different tree.
- Once you have selected your tree, you will want to give it a fresh cut on the base of the trunk. An inch is plenty. This allows the tree to take up water while it is on display in your home.
- Get your tree into fresh water as soon as you get it home. Be sure to use a stand with a large bowl that can hold plenty of water. Check the water level daily (maybe twice a day on the first few days) and never let the level of the water go below the base of the trunk.
A few additional tips:
- Plain water is best for your tree – no additives needed.
- Display your tree away from heat sources such as fireplaces, heat vents or windows with southern exposure. All of these will dry out your tree prematurely.
- Use only UL certified lights on your tree and never leave lights on when you are not home.
Follow these tips and enjoy your fresh Christmas tree this season!
Find a Real Christmas Tree Near You!
Check out our tree farm, retail lot and wholesale farm directories!